The Rotary Club of Silver City welcomes you.
- Fellowship & Opportunity for Service
- Community Leadership
- Civic Commitment
- High Ethical Standards in all professions
- Promotion of international understanding, goodwill and peace.
That’s Rotary. Learn more as you browse through these pages and then join us at one of our luncheon meetings to get to know us better.
Important Information for High School Students
1. For Graduating High School Seniors: The 2021 Silver City Rotary Scholarship competition is now under way. To learn about the application process and to find the link to the online application, please click on Rotary Scholarship Application. The deadline for completed applications, including all required documentation, is March 31, 2021.
2. New Vocational Scholarships: For students enrolling in a vocational education program at Western New Mexico University, the club has introduced a new Vocational Scholarship. We will be offering three $500 scholarships for students working toward an Associate’s degree or Certificate program in an Applied Technology or other vocational field at WNMU. For academic year 2020-21, the application deadline was April 15, 2020, but it has been extended because of the Covid-19 disruption and is continuing on a rolling basis. To learn about eligibility criteria and the application process click here and look for Rotary Vocational Scholarship under Applied Technology.
3. Leadership Development For Rising Juniors: Nominations for the 2021 Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) program will be accepted in spring 2021, assuming that the RYLA camp experience can be held in light of Covid-19. RYLA awardees get to spend a week in July at the Manzano Mountain Retreat in Mountainair to participate in an intensive leadership development camp. There is no cost to the students and transportation to and from Mountainair is arranged free of charge by the Rotary Club.
Candidates should be rising high school juniors. Students should talk to their high school counselor about being nominated for this exceptional program. The normal nomination and application deadline is April 30, but earlier applications are encouraged because only a limited number of openings are available for this unique opportunity.
For further information, go to https://ryla5520.shutterfly.com/ or call Rosie Higgs at (915) 346-6176.
Rotary Support for Local Non-Profit Organizations
The Club’s activities and contributions have provided support for numerous non-profit organizations in Silver City and the surrounding region. Since the establishment of the Silver City Rotary Foundation in 2015, contributions are being channeled through it. Among the organizations and projects supported are:
Alimento Para El Nino (Backpack Program)
The Bike Safety Rodeo
The Food Pantry
Grant County Community Concert Assn.
Habitat for Humanity
Harrison Schmitt Shop with a Cop
High Desert Humane Society
The Imagination Library of Grant County
Literacy Link Leamos
The Mimbres Region Arts Council
The Red Paint Pow Wow
Silver City Community Theater
The Silver City Museum Society
Silver City Woman’s Club
Silver High National History Competition
Southwest Festival of the Written Word
Forward New Mexico
The Volunteer Center
Volunteer Fire Departments
The Wellness Coalition
WNMU Rotary Scholarship Fund
Expanding Your Horizons
New Mexico Nature Conservancy